Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" long stay


Anyone planning a long stay in Thailand and meets the following criteria may apply before his trip to Thailand to the Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country for a one year visa.This then entitles you to a continuous stay in Thailand for up to a maximum of 365 days. 
During the continuous stay in Thailand every 90 days one has to report to a Thai Immigration Office - the so-called 90-day report.

These are the criteria to be fulfilled by the applicants for a non-immigrant visa "OA" long stay (often referred to as a 'retirement visa'):
  • minimum age of applicant: 50 years 
  • funds from a monthly income of at least 65,000 baht, or, if such amounts are not achieved, statements of assets of at least 800,000 baht (or the equivalent in your own currency)..
  • Health insurance like described in this article.

 The following documents must be submitted to apply for a visa:

  • 1 fully completed visa application form + 2 copies 
  • original passport (valid for at least 18 months) 
  • 3 copies of the first page of your passport 
  •  3 passport photos 
  •  copies of the flight confirmation 
  •  3 copies of bank statements, confirming the amounts listed above, and the original reference letter from the bank concerned 
  •  health certificate from your doctor stating the place of residence and length of stay - the original + 2 copies
  • police clearance certificate in original (from Scotland Yard for Brits) + 2 copies

The Thai embassy in London offers single-entry visas for 50 GBP, and multiple for 100 GBP. Check with your own embassy for details.
The consulate in Hull doesn't seem to offer this visa at all - we advise checking with the relative office before applying.

On the Web site of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs you can learn about the non immigrant visa "OA" long stay, which can be applied for in Bangkok at the Immigration Department (where you can get a multiple entry visa for 5,000 THB).

The address in Thailand, where the visa can be applied for is:

Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand
Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7,
Laksi, Bangkok 10210,
Tel 0-2141-9889

We recommend that before applying in Bangkok, seek advice from the authority about whether postal visa applications will be accepted and processed from abroad. The visa application documents that are required will be listed on the website of the Thai Foreign Ministry.

Before the expiration of the authorized period of stay you
may make an application for renewal of the residence permit at the Immigration Department. The necessary requirements and documents are identical to those that have to be to apply for the extension of the non-immigrant visa O-based on 'pensioners in Thailand'.

posted on: 12.11.2012 - last update on: 28.12.2019

This article ...

Add a comment

Have you done your own experiences? Do you have more questions? Simply use our comments function.

Before submitting your comment, please read our information and Terms of Use for comments. By saving your comment you accept our Terms of Use for comments.

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.

Questions, corrections, additional information? Contact form

Follow us

Follow us on Twitter

Latest Articles

Sponsor News