Extension of the permission to stay / retirement in Thailand

To apply for the extension of a permission to stay in Thailand form tm7 must be submitted to the Immigration Office along with the documents listed below. Documents and evidence needed for applying for the extension of the permission to stay based on a non immigrant -o- visa on basis of retirement and living in Thailand (older than 50 years):

  • Completed application form tm7, including passport photographs
  • Copies of relevant pages of passport of the applicant
  • Lease document + copies
  • copies of the house book of the landlord
  • a map showing the route from the immigration office to the residence of the applicant

    Evidence on the financial situation of the applicant, either

    1.     a monthly income (from outside Thailand) of at least 65,000 THB (income certificate to be obtained from the applicant's national Embassy in Bangkok)


    2.     proof that the applicant has at least 800,000 THB in his bank account, which must have been there for at least two months (for an initial application for the renewal of the permission to stay), or three months (for any subsequent renewal request). The Thai bank account must be in the name of the applicant alone.

Once all documentation has been inspected  by the investigating officer and found to be in order, and the 1,900 THB fee for processing has been paid, the extension will be stamped in the passport of the applicant immediately.

Once the new permission to stay stamp has been issued, the applicant has the right to stay in Thailand for 365 days, but still will have to report every 90 days to an immigration office, the so-called 90-day report.

  1. In this article we have explained the procedure for applying for the extension of stay on basis of being married to a Thai national.
  2. In this article we have explained how to extend the permission to stay on basis of a tourist visa or tourist visa exemption.

posted on: 09.07.2012 - last update on: 05.10.2021

This article ...

User comments

At 02/23/2016 - 20:09 wrote guest
According to the US Embassy who contacted the head on immigrations in Udon who confirmed that the requirement is the same as it always has been for same day service. This 2000 Baht is an outright scam by this office. Last year it was 1000 Baht. Thai immigrations web site makes no mention of this and other immigrations offices are not doing this
At 01/23/2015 - 07:10 wrote guest
The latest extortion scam by immigration office, is charging 2000bht plus over the 1900bht if you want the visa now and not have to come back for it ,

Add a comment

Have you done your own experiences? Do you have more questions? Simply use our comments function.

Before submitting your comment, please read our information and Terms of Use for comments. By saving your comment you accept our Terms of Use for comments.

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.

Questions, corrections, additional information? Contact form

Follow us

Follow us on Twitter

Latest Articles

Sponsor News