90 day report to immigration

Most of the longer-stay foreigners residing in Thailand are affected by a requirement of the Immigration Department, which demands that they have to report to an immigration office every 90 days. Holders of any appropriate non-immigrant visa which entitles the holder to stay in Thailand longer than 90 days are affected by this regulation. The only known exception to this reporting obligation is for holders of a permanent residence permit.

Holders of tourist visas and some non-immigrant visas are required to do a 'border-run', i.e. leave the country and return to get a 60 or 90 day stamp.

Update February 6th, 2015: the 90-day notification must now be carried out at the same immigration in which the permission for the extension of stay has been issued. Udon Thani immigration does no longer accept notifications from outside their jurisdictional range.

Since August 2013, whoever has to do the 90-day report to Udon Thani Immigration no longer has to complete the form TM47. Only the passport will be required, as the collection of personal information will be handled electronically.

The procedure of the immigration authorities that have not yet introduced electronic data recording, is as follows:

Take with you the completed form tm47 and your own passport. The new stamp comes with no handling charges and the request is usually processed within minutes, and a slip of paper is stapled into your passport which notes the next report date.

If for any reason the visa holder cannot appear personally on the specified day for the report, it is possibility for the reporting to be deferred by a week, but this is frowned upon the authorities, and late reporters are seen very reluctantly by the staff at Immigration! Furthermore, you can send a person authorized by the passport holder with the appropriate documentation. Finally, the report can also be done by mail:- This must be sent by the applicant at least 7 days before the reporting date, and must include:

  • Copies of all relevant passport pages
  • Copy of the TM6 (Departure Card)
  • Proof of the last 90-day notification (if applicable)
  • The completed form tm47
  • A stamped self-addressed envelope




Laksi, Bangkok. 10 210

posted on: 05.07.2012 - last update on: 06.02.2015

This article ...

User comments

At 02/06/2015 - 18:15 wrote guest
Good information. Thank you.

Add a comment

Have you done your own experiences? Do you have more questions? Simply use our comments function.

Before submitting your comment, please read our information and Terms of Use for comments. By saving your comment you accept our Terms of Use for comments.

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.

Questions, corrections, additional information? Contact form

Follow us

Follow us on Twitter

Latest Articles

Sponsor News